Friday, June 4, 2010

The Origin of the Original Burger: The Southwestern Burger

I was working at my brother in laws deli trying to develop foods that would be different on a salad bar.  So many customers were coming in asking for vegetarian selections that would be a healthy alternative to just salad.  I thought of veggie burgers but the ones that I had tried were not very flavorful or satisfying.   One day in my own kitchen I was thinking of what flavors would meld together well and still be nutritionally satisfying.   I started to experiment.  

I started with black beans and what would go well with them.   I thought of seasonings and vegetables that matched.   I have always loved Mexican food so I think that is what inspired my choices of flavors.    There is nothing like fresh cilantro to bring a taste of Mexico to life.    The first burgers  came out so well that I duplicated the recipe in the kitchen of the deli.   The customers loved them and they were a big hit.  

The fact that these were so successful made me start to think of what other kind of flavors I could do.  Our Southwestern Veggie burger is still very popular and will always be one of my favorites.~ T

No comments:

Post a Comment